After a wildly entertaining and successful turnout for Cyber Cypher #1, we’re excited to announce Cyber Cypher #2! No matter where you are in the world, all it takes is a machine, a camera, and your sweet, sweet moves to participate in our second remote competition.
To enter, select any of the following four songs and record a performance to it between June 27, 2018 and August 12, 2018, 11:59pm.
- Wake Me Up – Avicii (DDR A)
- Exotic Ethnic – RevenG (DDR MAX)
- Gamelan de Couple – Tomosuke (DDR Extreme)
- Brazilian Anthem – Berimbau ’66 (DDR SuperNOVA)
For this round, three of the judges on the panel will be former Freestyle Takeover event champions. The fourth judge will be none other than… the Freestyle Takeover fans! To submit a fan vote, check out the official Cyber Cypher #2 rules after the jump:
Cyber Cypher #2 rules:
- Cyber Cypher is open to everyone on Earth, regardless of region.
- To enter, the competitor must record themselves performing a routine to any of the four Cyber Cypher eligible songs. Performances may be done on a Dance Dance Revolution arcade machine or on a home version pad using either a console version of the game or a DDR simulator/emulator. (We highly recommend that the footage shows your full body and at least a partial glimpse of the game screen, so that the judges may better critique your performance.)
- Competitors may submit more than one performance.
- All performance videos may be uploaded online to a video hosting site (i.e., YouTube, Vimeo, Streamable) or emailed directly to FreestyleTakeover@gmail.com. A link to the upload must be provided to any of Freestyle Takeover’s social media channels using the hashtag #DDRFreestyle.
- All performances must be recorded between 6/27/18 and 8/12/18, 11:59pm PST. (No, we’re not accepting a video of a routine you did back in 2014. Re-perform that bad boy for the spirit of competition!)
- Performer must complete their performance with a passing grade per the game’s scoring system. A failed grade performance is not eligible for submission.
- All performances must adhere to general guidelines of decency. Keep it PG, maybe PG-13. (If the material/tone of the performance wouldn’t be allowed on an episode of The Simpsons, you might want to rethink your idea.)
- Each judge will grade the performances based on (but not limited to) showmanship, creativity, musicality, and presentation. The competitor’s game score will not be factored into judgment.
- After the final performance of the competition, each judge will submit their top 10 candidates using the following voting vector (14, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1), where 1st place receives 14 points, 2nd place receives 9 points and so on.
- Freestyle Takeover fans will now be eligible to vote for their favorite routines in Cyber Cypher #2! In order to cast a vote:
- You must follow @FSTakeover on Twitter.
- You must DM @FSTakeover your top 10 candidates using the aforementioned voting vector and guidelines.
- Public voting will open between 8/13/18 12:01am PST to 8/20/18 12:01am PST.
- Freestyle Takeover reserves the right to negate public vote if there is strong suspicion that overt vote manipulation has happened (i.e., automated bot voting).
- All judges’ decisions are final and are not subject to protest. Final tallies will be posted on the Freestyle Takeover website after the competition is over.
- Entrants who submit a video to the Cyber Cypher are agreeing to allow Freestyle Takeover to potentially use their footage and/or likeness in future promotional and marketing material.
- Rules may be subject to change at the discretion of Freestyle Takeover.
- PRIZES HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED